Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Magic, damn it! (part 2)


Has it really been a year since my last post on this topic?! What a difference a year makes!! ...er, maybe not. Still looking for magic...more than that, I'm looking for someone who embodies this quote.


     "Happy, smile. Sad, frown. Use the corresponding face 
      with the corresponding emotion."  

                                    -Meg Ryan, French Kiss.


I strive to be real, honest and genuine with all people who come into my life (it's not always possible, but I really do try!) ...and I don't think it's too much to ask that people try and do the same in return. 

I seem to keep finding magic with people whose outside doesn't match their inside...and in trying to navigate such interpersonal relationships, I feel like I am being forced to not live up to this quote. I find in this is vacuum of genuineness and honesty my ability to honestly convey the genuine me is diminished. (Could I squeeze in any more derivations of the word honest and genuine into that sentence?!! ;-) )

I don't want to be diminished, I don't want (to be) less, I want (to be) MORE, damn it!! 




It's disheartening, banging my head against a metaphorical wall, and makes me feel like I'm somehow doing it wrong...like that little sign I always see at festivals "you're doing it right" is somehow wrong and does not apply to me... I am trying very hard to be optimistic and have hope. For nearly ten years I have had hope...but hope is beginning to wearing thin...





Words aren't always sufficient in conveying thought. This song, however, is hitting the mark pretty well.


3 comments:

  1. did my comment post? I don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew. I'm glad I copied my entire comment before submitting. Here's what I typed before:

    This word "genuine" has come up recently for me today. In fact, today. I connected with a very good friend on linkedin. While reading his recommendations, someone called him geniune, and I so completely agree with that word for him.

    Genuine is a fascinating word. It speaks to transparency mixed in with a good nature. It always kinda shocks me how people lack a transparency in their life. So many people hide things. I get it, we get hurt. We don't trust others. But for me personally, I always want to take the road of being completely transparent with others. To never lie. To be upfront, yet gentle. And to always be positive.

    As I get older, I'm finding more and more that many people aren't like that. It's very strange. But! I'm very grateful for the people who are genuine. And for those who aren't genuine, I'm still going to pour an additional dose of genuineness on them. I'm convinced that what non-genuine people need in life is love. Lots of love. I'm happy to give more love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Matt! Yes, love is a good way to express genuineness!! Hope you are doing well and loving life!!

    ReplyDelete